Sunday 10 April 2016

Book Club Update ♥

Hello Everyone,

So yes once again sorry for the delay, I don't want to apologise anymore because it becomes a broken record.  I also don't think that bloggers really should apologise.  I love blogging, and when I have time I really enjoy it.  But recently I haven't so much had time, and the time I have had I have been trying to catch up on sleep, or spending time with friends.  So although we should make time for our blog and to give what we can to our readers, I do think that if you are pushing to get posts up but not enjoying it, then its just not worth putting anything up at all. So from now on I am going to post when I can and when I want, I hope that is okay.

Right, well that mini rant was not planned... That just kind of came out.  Oh well. Lets move on.

So this is my little review on Henry Marsh's Do No Harm and a little preview about the book I will be reading this month.

Henry Marsh's Do No Harm: 
Last month I read this book and I have to say it is such an incredible book! It is so unique, in that it is a non-fiction book but you are gripped so strongly to each chapter like I have never found before in a non-fiction book.  I find even if you are someone who isnt into science, or won't understand all the terms used, you can still enjoy it!



Its quite an emotional book too, I have found myself crying in quite a few chapters and it really shows you a different side to a profession that is so romanitised.  I love shows like Grey's Anatomy and so I had this idea of what being a neurosurgeon was like, but Marsh shows you the truth and how although these shows are good, they don't give a realistic representation of the life of a neurosurgeon. The love drama is definitely not something that you expect, although its not exempt from it completely.

But it was really a fantastic book and I would highly recommend it to anyone remotely interested in the subject matter.

I give it: ✶ 

This months book is going to be: Brian Greene, The Elegant Universe. 

I was thinking of reading a fiction book this month, however I got this for christmas from my dad and I really want to read it! The blurb states:

"In a rare blend of scientific insight and writing as elegant as the theories it explains. Brian Greene, one of the world's leading string theorists, peels away the layers of mystery surrounding string theory to reveal a universe that consists of eleven dimensions, where all matter is generated by the vibrations of microscopically tiny loops of energy.  Greene uses everything from an amusement park ride to ants on a garden hose to explain the beautiful yet bizarre realities that modern physics is unveiling. Dazzling in its brilliance, unprecendented in its ability to both illuminiate and entertain, The Elegant Universe is a tour de force of scientific writing - a delightful, lucid voyage through modern physics that brings us closer to understanding how the universe works." 

I am very excited to read this and see how it affects my view on physics, which even though I am a scientist, physics is kind of boring to me. I have high hopes :) 

What have you all decided to read this month, let me know down below and I will see whether I fancy reading any of them, and I hope some of you have decided to read Do No Harm.  I am looking for a good fiction book for next month, so let me know if you have any recommendations in the comments.

Hope you are all having an excellent day, I will talk to you soon, 
Annabel   

No comments: