Wednesday 30 December 2015

Thank You, 2015!

Hello Everyone, 


I have been reading a lot of "Dear 2015" posts, and you see lots of pictures on Facebook and Instagram about how 2015 sucked and that it was generally a bit crappy.  However, as a person I always like to look at the positive, and although some stuff in 2015 was a bit shitty, for me the majority of it was pretty awesome.  I think it would be really great if we all take a look back on 2015 and say "thank you".  But its always nice to look back on a year and think what was good about it and how have you grown in the past year.  And that's what I am going to be doing here.


For me, 2015 was a real growing up year.  I left school and made the trip to university.  Although I really enjoyed my sixth form, I was at a school where I didn't really feel like I fitted in.  It wasn't really anything specific, it was just that a lot of the people weren't necessarily my kind of people.  I still really enjoyed my time there and it was the perfect place for me to grow.  It allowed me to love and pursue drama, which was what I thought I wanted to do about a year ago, but also the academics were so good that I was able to get a-levels that I was very happy with and get into Edinburgh University which was exactly where I wanted to be! So that part of my life has good and bad things about it but overall it made me grow as a person and made me realise that what I really wanted to do was pursue a career in science.

After struggling a bit with friends at my school, arriving at university made me so happy and I now feel surrounded by a group of friends whom I love and make me happy.  I don't ever feel like I am left out or feel like I don't fit in.  What I will say is that if there are any of you out there at school that feel as though you are struggling with friendships and not fitting in, just wait for university.  There are thousands of people at university and you are bound to find and migrate to people that are like minded and really appreciate the same things you do.  So I feel very grateful for that and I am excited about the year ahead for university. 

This year I have also been able to get back into my singing and dancing.  I used to perform all the time at my secondary school and it was such a passion of mine.  Then when I got to my sixth form school it was full of people who were very good at singing but also it was very competitive and it some ways very bitchy.  I felt as though I didn't want to perform as I was very self conscious of my singing.  But at university I joined the amazing group called Edinburgh Footlights, which is a musical theatre performance group.  I got in and have been able to really excel and feel confident again.  That group is like my family now and they have made my university experience that much better.  I think I truly have made friends for life.  

I also can't write a post like this where I don't say how grateful and thankful I am for my family! Since being away at boarding school and now university you learn to appreciate how much your family does for you and you just appreciate them for everything they do! My family has been so amazing in always believing in me and they always encourage me with everything I want to pursue.  I am so grateful and can't thank them enough! They are my rock and keep my going when I am down.  If I ever need a pick me up my mum is on the other end of the line to cheer me up.  I say thank you to them for my whole life, but also for 2015.  

I also feel very grateful for university as it has reminded me how much I have missed sport! At secondary school I was sport scholar and did as much sport as was humanly possible within the day.  However, once I got to my sixth form college sport was the last thing on their mind.  I would have to have taken three hours out of my Tuesday to just be part of the netball team.  They also had only 4 matches or something so was really not easy to partake.  Then I got to uni and fell back in love with lacrosse.  Its such a great sport and I love it! By rejoining the sporting community I generally feel fitter and healthier and I feel a lot better about myself. 

Finally, I am very grateful as I am back to blogging! (who would have guessed ;) I started this blog in 2012 and pretty much abandoned it.  But then this year, university gave me more time during the day to explore new interests and I was reminded of blogging.  I also really needed an outlet to express my love for makeup hahaa, it was seriously lacking since my best friend was half way across the country and could no longer express my love with her.  I have really been loving getting back into my blog and I feel as though my writing has got much better and I have really just been enjoying myself, and it is thanks you to all that read my blog that I keep writing.  So I say thank you to you! 

So that's a lot of my 2015 summed up into a few paragraphs.  I don't like to dwell on the lows of a year, I do agree that they make you grow as a person but I like to focus on the happy as thats what I think really counts.  And I can't wait for what 2016 has to offer! Bring it on! 

Let me know how your 2015 was and what your highs were, and what you have to look forward to in 2016.  Hope you all had a good new year and lets all welcome 2016 with open arms.  But also say a sad goodbye to 2015 as you were a mixed year, but overall a great one.  And I say thank you. 

Lots of love, 
Annabel ♥ 


No comments: